Electrical Safety Switch Brisbane
We can carry out your safety switch installation.
What is an electrical safety switch?
An electrical safety switch can save lives. They are our insurance against electric shocks occurring in the home and are designed to prevent injury or death. Electrical safety switches monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. They are designed to automatically switch off the supply of electricity when a leaking current is detected through faulty wiring, switches or electrical appliances. This immediately stops the chances of current flowing to earth, through a person and electrocuting them.
Why does your home need an electrical safety switch?
Sadly, many people have died or been injured in Queensland, through electric shocks in the home. Although it is essential to the running of our homes, electricity can cause dangerous situations that can lead to accidents, such as:
- a faulty appliance or power tool,
- damage to an electrical cable,
- lack of maintenance,
- every day, unsafe practices.
The simple installation of a safety switch can help guard against an electrical tragedy in your home. You can help protect your family and yourself by having a safety switch installation for your home’s electrical circuits.
Queensland legislation for electrical safety switches
Many Queensland homes already have an electrical safety switch. Safety switch installation has been compulsory, by law, in all new homes since July 1992. However, you can check to ensure your home has a safety switch by looking for a Test/Reset button, located on your switchboard, or by asking one of our electricians. Queensland legislation states that:
- If you’re building a new home, you must have electrical safety switches installed for both power and lighting circuits.
- If you’re selling a property, you must declare on the sales contract if an electrical safety switch is installed for power circuits.
- If you’re buying a property that does not have an electrical safety switch, it’s your responsibility to install one, within three months of the property transfer.
- Landlords of rental properties must arrange for a safety switch installation within six months of the rental agreement. It is the Landlord’s legal requirement to have a safety switch installed for general purpose socket outlets if there is not already one installed.
How reliable is an electrical safety switch?
Safety switches are extremely reliable, but, nothing is fail safe! You should regularly check your safety switch, to ensure it’s working. A good practice is to check it every time you receive your electricity account. To check that it’s functioning properly, press the TEST button, this will simulate a problem; the safety switch should automatically trip to OFF, then you simply reset it. Although electrical safety switches are in place to give your family extra protection, it’s important that all electrical wiring, appliances, extension leads and other electrical equipment is checked regularly and maintained in good working order.
Need a new electrical safety switch?
Moreton Bay Solar Air Electrical employ a team of qualified electricians who can complete your safety switch installation, or repair a faulty one. We service all areas of Brisbane, including suburbs south to Mt Gravatt, west to Moggill and Kenmore, north to Caboolture and all areas of the Sunshine Coast. For more on Electrical Safety.
Call our team on 07 3883 2119 or complete our booking request to ensure the electrical safety of your home or business.
Remember: Electrical safety switches save lives.